Lettings Process

The lettings process at The Letting Bureau, the specialist and dedicated Letting Department of Spencer Evans & Jakeman is designed to be as smooth as possible, taking you through finding the right property to signing a rental agreement with the minimum of hassle.

Finding the right property in Shropshire and Mid Wales

When you choose to let a rental property through The Letting Bureau, as agents we will conduct a brief interview with you, taking note of the features that you are looking for in a rental apartment or house. We will ask you if you need an Assured Shorthold tenancy of 6 or 12 months or whether you are looking to rent a property in the Shropshire West Midlands and Mid Wales area for a longer period. We will find out your rental property requirements and then match these preferences to the houses apartments and flats currently available from our lettings agency.

Most of the property we have to let in Shropshire, West Midlands and Mid Wales are usually 2, 3 or 4 bedroomed, although we also have a range of studio and one bed apartments that we manage. Occasionally we have large properties of 5 and more bedrooms to let. Whatever your requirements, once you have registered with our lettings agency we will keep you informed of any rental properties fitting your requirements as soon as we receive them. New rental properties in Shropshire and Mid Wales are regularly available and are posted to our Rightmove account.


Once you have decided on a number of rental properties that may suit you, one of our negotiators will accompany you to view each apartment or house at the earliest opportunity. Prospective tenants are always accompanied on viewings of vacant properties, partly to ensure the security of the rental property, but also so that we can find out more about the features that interest you within the property and suggest alternative apartments or houses to let that may better suit your requirements.

Rental Agreements

Once you have decided upon your preferred new property to rent in Shropshire, West Midlands and Mid Wales, our agency will draw up a suitable rental agreement, taking into account the needs of both landlord and tenant. We will also require financial and personal references from you, which we will then follow up before the tenancy can commence. A bond, usually representing one month's rent plus £200 (each property may be let subject to different terms based on Landlords directions), will be required prior to taking residence in the property and will be held by The Letting Bureau -Spencer Evans & Jakeman Property Agents Ltd. for the duration of the tenancy. This money is held securely in a separate, protected account, under our obligations as members of the RICS ( Spencer Evans Property Agents Limited)

This amount is used against possible non-payment of rent or damage to property. When a tenancy comes to an end, there is usually no disagreement about the return of the deposit. But sometimes there is, and this can cause hardship and inconvenience to both the landlord and tenant. Spencer Evans are members of the DPS Insurance Based Scheme, which has been developed to ensure that the deposits they hold are protected and that disputes about their return are resolved swiftly, inexpensively and impartially. After the initial term of the tenancy has reached its end, you will usually be given the opportunity to renew the letting for a further period.

Inventory and Routine Visits

Before a tenancy commences, our agents will conduct a full survey of the rented property and compile a comprehensive inventory of all fixtures and fittings. This is a vital document for both landlords and tenants and prevents any disputes arising at the end of the rental term. During the tenancy, The Letting Bureau -Spencer Evans & Jakeman will also conduct a Professional routine visit of the property every four months to ensure that any loss or damage is documented and give the tenant the opportunity to raise any problems.

Frequently Asked Questions


Any supplies of electricity, gas and water will be transferred into your name on commencement of your rental contract. They will be your responsibility throughout the duration of the tenancy.


When moving into your rental property, you will be responsible for making your own application to BT or another supplier for any phone or broadband connection you require. You will be liable for all telephone bills relating to the time you occupy the property.


Your rental payments should be made monthly in advance, usually by standing order from your bank or building society. Any additional costs or charges should be paid before commencement of the tenancy.


One set of keys per tenant will be issued on commencement of the rental agreement. You are responsible for ensuring the property is secure and locked at all times when no one is at home. All additional household keys will be marked and left in the kitchen. The Letting Bureau - Spencer Evans & Jakeman Property Agents Ltd. also retains a set of keys to the property.


All electrical and gas appliances including fridges, freezers, ovens, hobs, dishwashers, washing machines etc. should be clean, serviced and in good working order. Your landlord is responsible for complying with any applicable safety regulations. Service contracts, warranties and guarantees may be held on certain appliances by the landlord.

Council Tax?

The tenant is responsible for making payments to the council for tax charges. This can be paid monthly or annually by cheque, standing order or direct debit and should be arranged directly with the council. The tenant is solely responsible for any charges that may occur as a result of non-payment.


If the rental property includes a garden, the tenant is responsible for keeping it in good order during their lease. The landlord should have provided appropriate tools for lawn cutting, weeding and the maintenance of any trees, shrubs or flowers present.

Fire Regulations?

All furniture supplied will conform to the 'Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993'. The law states that gas equipment must be checked annually by a Registered Gas Safe Engineer and records of this must be available on request. Either the landlord or management company will arrange these checks.


You must ensure that your household insurance policy covers you as a tenant.

Terms and conditions

You will be bound by the terms and conditions of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy